Plan a trip :
NEWS: [See all News]
Raymond S. HOBACK - 29th Division.
Bedford Boys Fallen - Raymond Samuel HOBACK never had a chance to reach 100 years old today. Instead, he sacrified his life for our freedom... Raymond may have made it out of his landing craft, but he never made it to shore. Others recall seeing his body in the water. Bedford also failed to make in on the beach. He was killed by an exploding 88mm shell. Their time in the battle could be measured in minutes... [American D-Day facebookRead more...
[Posted: 2020-01-21 22:40:05]
RIP - Robert GIGUERE - Navy.
It is with heavy heart we learn the passing of Mr. Robert GIGUERE, a veteran of D-Day (Normandy)... He was 93... Four days earlier, Giguere rode across the choppy English Channel toward the Normandy coast with the Sixth Naval Beach Battalion. When his carrier grounded on the beach, a Teller mine detonated from beneath and tore through the ship's hull, Killing several soldiers below deck... [American D-Day facebookRead more...
[Posted: 2020-01-21 22:58:23]
   1 - 2 / 25 news   
WALL - IN MEMORY OF: [See all Messages]
Bonjour Je fais des recherches sur le lieutenant HILL D F. Pourriez vous m'indiquer quel était son army serial number. Par avance merci Dominique Lombard
Honored by Dominique Lombard
[Posted: 2021-11-18 12:45:39]
Italo J. Breda my youngest uncle, born in Suffolk County Massachusetts in 1923. the son Of Italian Immigrants,Merito and Theresa Breda.Italo served in the service of the United States Of America with his older brothers and surrendered his young life in combat at the age 21 years,to allow freedom,lib
Honored by Wayne J Breda MD,DSc.
[Posted: 2021-05-21 01:16:39]
   1 - 2 / 129 messages   
29th Division, 121st Engineer Combat Bn.
After Action Report
The 121st Engineer Combat Battalion, less Company A, with the 112th Engineer Combat Battalion attached, landed on Omaha Beach as part of the 116th Infantry Combat Team, which was part of the First Infantry Division Landing Team. The first units of this Battalion to land were two platoons of Company "B" with Lieutenant Colonel Ploger, the Battalion Commander, and a small staff, from two LCM's at 060710 B June 1944. These platoons were closely followed by an LCM containing one platoon of "B" Company and one platoon of "C" Company landing ten minutes later. Advance element of Battalion Headquarters landed from an LCL(L) at 060730 B. The landings were made under heavy mortar, artillery, and machine gun fire inasmuch as no infantry had proceeded the landing of the Engineers on Dog Green and part of Dog White beach. A direct artillery hit on the bow of the LCI(L) was made just as unloading began and many engineers became casualties as a result of the blast and following fire. It is estimated that 50% of this initial force were casualties, and 75% of the equipment was lost. Captain Holmstrup, Commanding Officer, Company "C", was killed as he left the landing craft. Our initial effort was to regroup our forces and to gather enough material on the beach to accomplish our missions. Some elements of the Battalion proceeded immediately inland and entered Vierville-sur-Mer at about 1000 B hours, cross country by way of the bluff overlooking the beach east of Vierville.
Two platoons of "C" Company landed on Easy Green beach from LCT's at 061030 B hours with bulldozers and about one ton of explosives each. Remnants of Company "B" and Company "C" were then directed to exit D-1 to open it for traffic. It was necessary to wipe out several sniper positions before actual work could begin. Approximately 30 prisoners were taken in the ensuing action. At about 1200 B hours an officer patrol, formed in Vierville-sur-Mer and led by General Cota, Assistant Division Commander and containing Major Olson, Engineer Battalion Executive, Captain Bainbridge, ADE of 254th Engineers, Lieutenant MacAllister, Engineer Battalion Adjutant, and others, proceeded through the D-1 Exit from the rear before it was opened, rejoining the elements of the Battalion at work on the beach and beach exit. The wall blocking the beach exit D-1 was breached with an external charge of 1100 lbs of TNT. The resultant vehicles. Company "B" remained on the beach to complete opening of the beach exit and to clear the road to Vierville-sur-Mer. These missions were accomplished by 062100 B hours. Meanwhile Company "C" was ordered to clear transit area #1 west of Vierville-sur-Mer, which mission was about 50% completed that night. Company "C" bivouaced in transit area # 1, "H&S" and "B" Company bivouaced just south of Vierville. At 070530 B June 1944 the enemy attacked our positions from the south. The elements of the Battalion withstood the attack until the arrival of Rangers supported by tanks at about 1030 B hours. We then set up a defensive line for protection of Division CP along the east-west road through Vierville. Captain Humphrey, Commanding Officer, Company "B", was wounded while leading a part of Company "B" out the assembly area. At 071600 B hours Company "C" continued with their mission of cleaning transit area #1, which was completed at 071900 B hours. Company "A" landed with the 115th Combat Team, the leading platoon landing at 062300 B hours. Company "A" supported for the forward movements of the 115th CT by opening lines of communication behind their leading elements. While passing through Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, Company "A" came under fire of some snipers, at which time Captain Martin, the Commanding Officer, was wounded and evacuated. Company "A" joined the Battalion the evening of 7 June. Company "C" on the morning of 8 June cleared the town of Vierville-sur-Mer of rubble caused by artillery bombardment during the previous evening. Company "A" cleared the road leading to Grandcamp on 8 June.